Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Importance of the Forward (Pass) Part I



When I was a younger man, the forward of a football book was something that I typically glossed over. I wanted to see the diagrams, the pictures, the trick plays. Some many years ago, I handed over a cherished copy of "Guide to Modern Football Offense" by Ray Graves to a dear friend to read. I noticed that he immediately turned his attention to the introduction. Well... as Sargent Elias Grodin said: "...the worm has definitely turned..."





My point? The words on these particular pages of the acknowledgment led me to names like Ed Kensler, Fred Pancoast, and Bubba McGowan... Who? Well go and find out!

Unless you're one of many long time U of Florida fans, you might not know these names. In fact, PERHAPS, unless you're a long time U of Florida fan, you might not know that, the ole ball coach, Steve Spurrier, played under Ray Graves. More to the point, you might not realize how much of Spurrier's current philosophy comes from his days as quarterback for Florida in the mid 60's. If you're reading this, you MIGHT, but I hope you get my point: Don't skip the forward because if you do, you might miss out on all sorts of little details that make up the stitching of the quilt that is the history of football in the good old USofA.

"If you are going to win with any consistency, however, you must make an opponent respect your passing game." -Ray Graves

No comments:

Post a Comment